Ownership model takes off in WA

\"\"Caption: Some of the participants in Racing and Wagering WA’s ‘Chase The Dream’ greyhound racing promotion


(Each month Chase puts the spotlight on a person and/or their ‘best friend’ – a story that gives an insight into the true heart of greyhound racing. It showcases all that is good in this sport and is a monthly tribute to much-loved greyhound identity Daryl ‘Albert’ Gleeson)

RACING and Wagering WA has been so delighted with the initial response to their ‘Chase The Dream’ greyhound racing promotion, it will be an early 2022 highlight.

Greyhound Clubs Australia Executive Officer, David Simonette, part of the initial Chase The Dream promotion has told Chase Newspaper he has had talks with RAWA during mid-July about this.

\”It was a resounding success, so much so that RAWA wants to bring it forward to January in 2022,\” said Simonette.

Chase The Dream brought together 60 people, 90 percent of who had never been greyhound racing before, for a series of hands-on events in May culminating on each getting the chance to share in the ownership of a pup.

Hosts of the events were David Shortte, RAWA\’s manager of Social Media Content, and Leia Ernest a TAB Radio announcer and a regular on Greyhound Gold, Greyhound Gossip in WA.

The prize was a pup, already named CHASE, by West On Augie-West On Hazel and donated by Dave and Christine Robartson, so well known to Queenslanders.

The 60 participants got to visit the Robartson\’s property to see ‘Chase’ for themselves, then visited the Linda Britton/Chris Halse training complex. Following those visits, two nights racing at Cannington to witness the WA Oaks series followed.

\”Of those who attended, 90 percent had never owned a greyhound before, while the other 10 percent had owned a greyhound more than  five years ago,\” said Simonette.

\”All night, they were wined and dined and introduced to educators, trainers, race callers, tipsters.

\”Draws were then conducted for five 10 percent shares in the puppy Chase and 10 two-people teams then got five percent shares.

\”But, for those missing out, Linda Britton then supplied RAWA with a pup by Quick Jagger-West On Ruby to syndicate.

\”Shares in that pup were sold within 20 minutes.

\”It brought in 38 new people to the industry. Dave Shortte and I both bought a share in the Quick Jagger pup.\”

Simonette says RAWA aim to see greyhound racing flourish among such newcomers and was rewarded so well a 2022 version of Chase The Dream was inevitable.

\”Since the syndicates were formed to race the pups, each has formed their own Facebook page to follow the progress of their pup,\” he said.



For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au

Social Media

Chase News Subscribe (it's free!)
Scroll to Top